After tooth decay has been removed, the inside of your tooth can be restored with a dental filling. In the past, traditional dental fillings were made of different types of metals like gold or other metals. These metals were strong but they didn’t look like your natural teeth.
Today, teeth can be restored using modern dental filling materials including ceramic and plastic compounds called composite resins that look and feel like natural teeth. Sometimes we call these dental fillings white fillings because they are made to look like your own white teeth.
What Dental Filling Material is Right for Me?
Several factors influence the performance, durability, longevity and investment in cosmetic dentistry dental filling restorations:
- The material used
- The amount of tooth structure remaining after decay is removed
- Where and how the white fillings are placed
- The chewing load that the tooth will have to bear
- The length and number of visits needed to prepare and adjust the restored tooth
The ultimate decision about what type of white fillings are best is made by you in consultation with the doctor.
In general, there are two basic types of dental fillings:
- Direct dental fillings are placed immediately into a prepared cavity in a single visit. Modern materials used for direct fillings include white fillings composite, glass ionomers or resin ionomers. Once the family dentist prepares the tooth, the white fillings are placed and adjusted in one visit.
- Indirect dental fillings are for larger areas that need to be restored. First, the dentist prepares the tooth and takes an impression of the area to be restored. A temporary filling is placed on the tooth and the dental laboratory makes the new restoration to fit the exact space in your tooth, just like a puzzle piece. During your next visit, the temporary is removed and the new “puzzle piece” white fillings are cemented in place for a natural look and feel.
All of our fillings will give you a confident natural looking smile. The type of material is up to you, but no matter what type you choose, you will get a state-of-the-art, high quality dental filling.
Call today about white dental fillings! We are happy to partner with you to give you the healthiest, best looking smile around!