Periodontal disease, typically called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so widespread in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated at The Addison Dentist.
Here are some important things to know about gum disease:
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent it.
- Gum disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have gum disease.
- In some cases, gum disease creates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Preventing gum disease is one of the most important reasons to see us at The Addison Dentist in Addison TX every six months. As with so many things, early diagnosis is the key to effective treatment. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment today.
Contact The Addison Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):