If you avoid smiling because you are embarrassed of your cracked, chipped, misshapen or discolored teeth, dental crowns may be the solution for you.
Dental crowns are “caps” cemented onto an existing tooth and fully cover the portion of your tooth above the gum line. In effect, the tooth crown becomes your tooth’s new outer surface. Dental crowns for teeth can be made of porcelain, metal, or both. Depending on the location of your tooth, we can recommend the best tooth crown options based on the goals you have for your dental health and the appearance of your smile.
Your tooth crown is created in a lab from your unique tooth impression which allows a dental laboratory technician to examine all aspects of your bite and jaw movements. Your tooth crown is then sculpted just for you so that your bite and jaw movements function normally once the crown is placed.
Advantages for Dental Crowns
- Porcelain crowns can be used to cover teeth that have cracks, chips or breaks, are misshapen or discolored or have had an abundance of dental work.
- A tooth crown can cover a dental implant to form a “new” tooth.
- Porcelain crowns require no special care. Simply brush and floss as you normally would and see your dentist regularly.
- A tooth crown will never get a cavity!
- Porcelain crowns can be used to secure and hold dental bridges, permanent dentures and other appliances that can complete and enhance your smile.
- Dental crowns look, feel and function like your natural teeth.
Porcelain crowns are one of the most common cosmetic dentistry restorations and can improve the function and appearance of a tooth as well as prolong its health. Call The Addison Dentist today to find out more and to schedule an appointment!